The Amber Room
A special place in art is the famous Amber Room. It is a masterpiece of amber mosaic that was before the war in the Catherine Palace Museum near St. Petersburg.
Amber room for almost three centuries is a kind of symbol of Russian-German relations. It was originally created in Prussia, then it was donated to Russia, then stolen in the Great Patriotic War, and revived by Russian masters.
The decision to restore the Amber Room was made by the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR in the late 1970s. Restoration work began in 1983 under the leadership of Alexander Zhuravlev, 40 specialists were involved in these works, and by November 1996, in the conditions of extremely irregular financing, about 40% of the scope of work was performed. During this time, slightly more than $ 7 million was spent from the federal budget.
- The height of the Amber Room is 7, 8 meters, the floor area is 100 square meters, facing three walls with amber - 86 square meters.
- Restoration of the Amber Room lasted 23 years and was spent on it: 11, 35 million dollars, including 7.85 million from the budget of Russia and 3.5 million from the funds of the German firm "RuhrgasAG".
- 6 tons of amber, including waste, which accounted for 80%.
- To restore the Amber Room, was used amber from the Kaliningrad deposit, which contains 95% of the world's amber reserves.
- The largest nugget used in the work weighed one kilogram. It was bought from a Moscow collector for a several thousands dollars.
No outfit is complete without a beautiful Baltic Amber Ring. Make sure the size of the ring is correctly matched.
How to identify natural Baltic amber and not damage it. Watch our video and read about more simple tests...
The peoples composed legends because was unable to unravel the "secrets" of the "sun stone"...
Discover the splendor of the most mysterious room in the history of Russia
A real pleasure is to take care of your treasures every time after they "go out into the light." Learn some useful tips on how to care about your amber jewelry.